Hammer toes can cause significant pain and difficulty in wearing shoes comfortably. The toe deformity progresses over time until the toe becomes dislocated. Our toe surgery specialists perform thousands of toe straightening procedures every year under local and general anaesthetic using the very latest techniques using minimally invasive toe surgery operation designed for early walking and return to shoes.
Hammer Toe Surgery at London Foot & Ankle Surgery
Hammer toe deformities are treated as a day case foot surgery basis at our centre. The hammer toe operation has been specially been designed to involve the very latest nextra implant designed in the USA. The procedure can be performed safely and painlessly under local anaesthesia. The technique has improved patient experience from traditional toe surgeries that involve wires sticking out of the end of toes.
Day Case Hammer Toe Surgery:
Traditional hammer toe surgery involved using wires sticking out of your toes for 6-8 weeks. This did not allow return to normal shoes and a much longer recovery time as the wires needed removing before full activity is resumed.
Modern hammer toe surgery that is performed at London Foot & Ankle Surgery has revolutionised the patient experience allowing predictable toe correction that is acceptable both cosmetically and functionally.
Old Hammer Toe Surgery Techniques with Wire Sticking Out:
The Modern Age In Hammer Toe Corrective Techniques:
The Evolution of Hammer Toe Surgery:
Like all things modern, hammer toe surgery techniques have taken a modern approach. Both in terms of philosophy, techniques and technology.
Our hammer toe operation technique allows:
- Straight and cosmetically accepted toe position
- Minimise swelling
- Return to smart footwear
- Prevent recurrence of deformity
- No wires sticking out of toes
Post operative recovery following toe surgery
The advantages of these toe surgery techniques are:
- Hammer toe surgery patients spend 2 weeks wearing a post op shoe and keeping the foot dry.
- Once the sutures are removed, you wear a sports shoe
- Typically return to full activity after 6-8, when x-rays show adequate bone healing, you can begin transitioning to normal activity.
- The core principles of this technique ultimately come back to the foundation of our entire practice: create procedures that allow patients to treat their conditions preventatively, without the long and sometimes difficult recovery that older methods offer.
- Quicker recovery
- Return to most desk based jobs at 2 weeks
- No casts or wires
- Well managed post-operative discomfort
- In house physio and rehab.